2014 Advocate Award Recipient:
Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services
Each year the Minnesota State Bar Association Civil Litigation Section presents the Advocate Award to an individual who has made a significant contribution to improving the system of civil justice in Minnesota.
Among the factors considered by the MSBA Civil Litigation Section Governing Council are whether the nominee:
- brought about structural improvements in the civil litigation system
- advanced the cause of under-represented groups in the civil litigation system
- demonstrated a commitment to the civil litigation system over years of service
- furthered improvement in the civil litigation system without receiving appropriate recognition
The Advocate Award will be presented to Ms. Nicholson at this year's Civil Litigation Annual Meeting to be held on April 23, 2014 at The Grand Hotel, Minneapolis. More information regarding this event will be coming soon.
District Court Opinions Project
The MSBA is gathering district court opinions that can be placed into a database accessible by MSBA members. We invite MSBA members to submit opinions for inclusion in the database in the areas of civil litigation, family law, labor law and employment law. We are looking for noteworthy opinions on various types of motions including, but not limited to, the following:
- Dispositive motions
- Motions granting or denying injunctive relief
- Motions to amend to add a punitive damages claim
- Motions to compel and discovery orders
- Motions for protective orders
- Motions for sanctions
- Motions to stay (i.e., a pending arbitration or appeal)
The opinions you submit should provide sufficient analysis of the law and/or particular facts to assist in the evaluation of how a particular judge considers and rules on substantive and/or procedural issues.
If you have an opinion to submit, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submitted opinions will be reviewed to determine if they will be included in the database.